Frequently Asked Questions – GOAL
- What is the GOAL program?
GOAL (Going Online as Leaders) is a digitally enabled mentorship initiative of Facebook India under the guidance of Ministry of Tribal Affairs for empowering 5000 youth from tribal communities to become leaders for tomorrow by leveraging the power of digital technology. GOAL Project is aimed at identifying and mobilizing 2500 renowned people from industry (policy makers and influencers), teachers, artists, entrepreneurs, social workers etc. known for their achievements in their domain areas, to personally mentor tribal youths across India. The initiative has been designed to allocate two mentees to a mentor.
- Who is anchoring/running this program?
This program is being anchored by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India in partnership with Facebook India Pvt. Ltd.
- What are the objectives of this program?
The initiative primarily targets at capacity building of youths living in tribal areas which will inspire, guide and encourage them to boost their confidence level and ignite higher aspirations among them. The acquired skills and abilities will help them gain leadership skills, identify problems in their society, find solutions to fight the challenges and use their knowledge to support their livelihood as well
as the society’s socio-economic status. The core areas of mentorship program are Digital Literacy, life Skills and Leadership & Entrepreneurship.
- What is the Programme Design?
The program targets to work in structured phases including preparatory and design phase; selection of mentors and mentees; execution that includes mentoring, training, internships; and follow-up youth economic and leadership activities. The program also seeks to provide handholding support to the youth even after they graduate out for upcoming jobs or self-employment / entrepreneurial initiatives through government schemes. The program seeks to have a strong component of quality assurance, monitoring, concurrent evaluation protocols and uses analytics and technology for continuous
improvement, decision making and sustainability. It is targeted to have a 1:2 ratio of mentors and mentees. Each engagement with
mentee will be of nine months or 36 weeks:
• Month 1 to Month 7 (28 weeks): Mentees from tribal communities will be connected to mentors
• Month 8 and Month 9 (8 weeks): Shortlisted mentees will get internship opportunities in reputed organizations
- Who can apply to become a mentee?
Any youth from tribal communities between 18-35 years of age who has keen interest in business, education, art, culture, dance, health, politics, research, entrepreneurship can apply as mentee.
- Who can apply to become a mentor?
Experts in the field of business, education, health, politics, arts and
entrepreneurship among others and can inspire, guide and encourage the tribal youth to become village-level digital young leaders for their communities can apply to become a mentor. The program requires time commitment from mentor for whole program duration.
- Where can I apply as a mentor or a mentee?
Applicants can register on the portal goal.tribal.gov.in by providing basic information about themselves.
- Most of the tribal communities don’t have access to technology, how will this program reach them?
MoTA has partnered with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology for leveraging strong network of its Common Service Centres (CSCs). Youths from tribal communities can visit their nearest CSC to apply under this program. Once tribal youth is selected in program, they will be provided smartphones with internet access for one year. The project will be delivered digitally using videobased mechanisms such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Mentors and mentees will interact through these apps, and all material will be provided in digital format only.
- Where can I connect with GOAL program if I have any queries?
The interested tribal youth, can write at email@example.com if they have any queries related to GOAL program or through ‘Contact Us’ section on GOAL portal.
10.What are the benefits a mentee will get from this program?
Mentees will get following benefits:
• Smartphone with one-year internet access
• Joint certificate of participation by MoTA and Facebook
• Letter of recognition by Mentor
• Opportunity to intern in a reputed private / government organization
• Strong visibility and recognition at local/ state/ national level
• Opportunity to interact with industry leaders
• Priority access to Facebook and MoTA events at State/ National level
11.What is the proposed recognition for mentors under this program?
The following will be the recognition for mentors under this program-
• Joint Certificate of participation by MoTA and Facebook
• Opportunity to interact with like-minded peer group including industry professionals, influencers etc.
• Priority access to state level events organized by MoTA or Facebook
• Profile will be showcased on Portal as Mentor
• Opportunity to meet business and political leaders
12.What will be the methodology for selection of mentors and mentees?
Selection will be based on predefined criterion according to a standard methodology finalized by the project committee.
13.How many mentors and mentees will be selected under this program?
The program will select 5000 mentees and 2500 mentors. Accordingly, each mentor will be assigned 2 mentees.
14.What are the proposed areas of mentorship?
The proposed areas of mentorship are digital literacy, life skills, leadership & entrepreneurship. Digital Literacy module would cover fundamental topics of basics of computer, smart phone functioning and online safety. Life skills module to include topics like thinking, managing and critical aspects like relating & caring. Modules of leadership & entrepreneurship would impart problem solving
issues like problem identification and strategic planning.
Apart from above three core modules, special sessions such will be delivered regarding various schemes of MoTA, other Central and State Government schemes and Fundamental duties etc.
15.Which sectors are proposed to be covered under the GOAL Project?
Sectors proposed to be included for the project is as under:
I. Agriculture and allied activities
● Animal husbandry
● Bamboo products
● Food processing
II. Art & Culture
● Tribal dance
III. Handicrafts & textile
● Art & Artifacts
IV. Health, Nutrition and education
● Traditional medicine
● Medicinal practices
● Skill up gradation
V. General leadership
VII. Any other relevant field.
16.What guidance/support to be provided to the mentors for delivering this
The mentors will be provided with content for modules, relevant presentations and related materials such as videos, case studies and assessment guides. The mentor will be provided with an orientation about the GOAL program and its objectives which would enable them to provide mentorship to mentees as required.
17.Where will the mentoring sessions take place?
Each mentee will be provided with a smartphone and internet access for a period of 1 year. The mentoring sessions will take place digitally through Facebook family of apps such as Facebook messenger, Whatsapp etc. where the mentor will connect with mentees and deliver training sessions.
18.Is this initiative implemented before? If yes, what is the impact?
Facebook had undertaken a pilot project on its own in 5 states of India i.e. Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Odisha, Maharashtra during February 2019 to October 2019. In this phase, 25 women leaders mentored 100 tribal girls. The program received an enthusiastic response and has many success stories, such as:
• At the end of the program, 70% of the women cohort wanted to set up their own business
• On completion of the program, every woman has started actively using the Internet as compared to none at the start of the program. 82% of them use the internet to highlight issues their community faces
• All participants developed public speaking skills, on their way to becoming a community leader
• 63% women now have enhanced understanding of their community,
government and local institutions